Good Food Month Sydney 2014


Night Noodle Market

I heard about this Night Noodle Market and I just want to see what all the fuss is about.


I thought it starts at 5pm every night, but on the weekend it starts a little earlier at 4pm. We turned up at 5pm and there were a lot of people already. As the day gets darker and later, more and more people turned up and there were long queues for most stalls.

I am not a fan of queues. If there is a long queue I will lose my appetite. I want my food and I want it NOW!!! The tip is getting there earlier, before the rush starts.

The foods are snack sizes, and even though you don't think it's a lot of money, they are not really value for money. The costs do add up very quickly. Sometimes, psychologically you will get lost in the market and forgot that you could just cross the road and buy something with better value.

The stand out of the market for me is the Hoy Pinoy skewer, chicken and pork belly. Watch out for the long line.


I did queue up for this, but at least the queue went pretty quickly as they barbequed the skewers in baulks. There was also a nice view of reflection of the Sydney Tower while I waited.

 
Anther stand out was Korean chips on the stick. Not sure why 'Korean'? It's not a Korea cuisine and everyone who worked in the stall were non-Asians. Perhaps the market prefers Asian cuisine and they have to pretend they are.


The Market was nicely decorated but the seats were limited. Come with a friend so one of you can hog the seats, or be prepared to walk and eat at the same time.





Location: Hyde Park, Elizabeth St. Sydney 2000

 
 
Let's Do Dessert
 
It's a tradition that I do desserts for my birthday since it conveniently falls in the same month as Good Food Month. This year the special restaurant that I chose was Signorelli Gastronomia in Pyrmont.
 
The first time we went there without a booking, desserts were all booked out for the whole weekend. What??? But.... it's for my birthday!!!! I knew the place will be busy with desserts, but I thought if I came right before 8pm, before the start of their Let's Do Dessert time, I should be Ok. Apparently not....
 
Reluctantly we had to come back a week later.........with booking.
 
 
We started with a glass of Yalumba FSW8B Botrytis Viognier wine on arrival. I forgot to ask them to swap my wine for a none alcoholic drink as I don't usually drink alcohol. Since they already brought over the wine, I decided a little wine won't kill me.
 
The wine was pleasantly sweet. Very suited to the occasion.
 
Then comes the masterpiece... The Vertical Garden...
 


Frozen nougat, rose blossom loukoum, lychee jelly, raspberry yolk and pistachio wall. Everything on the plate was edible.
 
The dessert was quite sweet and filling. All the component goes well together and the assembling was beautiful.
 
It was worth the wait....
 
Location: Ground Floor of Accenture Building, 48 Trouton Place Pyrmont 2009
 
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kings Canyon NT

Tasmania Trip Day 3 - Cradle Mountain

Cowan to Berowra via Berowra Waters